Bacterial Vaginosis, or BV as it is also referred to, is a type of mild infection which occurs due to bacteria, in the reproductive organs of women. There are usually “good” bacteria present in the vagina, as well as those that are considered to be “bad.” The “good” bacteria control the development of “bad” bacteria, but when the balance is upset, then infection occurs. This condition normally lasts for just a few days and many times disappears on its own.
Signs of Bacterial Vaginosis
The most prominent signs that you may have the condition is a yellowish or grayish-white smelly discharge. Other symptoms include redness and itching in the vaginal area, with some women also experiencing a burning sensation when they urinate.
Natural remedies for treating the condition
There are several natural remedies for the treatment of BV, including:
- Yoghurt – yoghurt contains natural bacteria which is effective in balancing the pH level of the vagina, while at the same time dealing with the infection itself. Relief from the condition can be obtained by either, dipping a tampon into yoghurt and inserting it into the vagina, or by simply eating plain yoghurt twice per day.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – sit in a tub of water to which a cup of apple cider vinegar has been added and soak the vagina for about 20 minutes. This should be done every morning until there is an improvement in the condition. Sitting in this water/apple cider vinegar mixture will help in fighting the infection as well as killing the bacteria
- Garlic – garlic is one of the best known natural remedies for combating bacterial infections. Symptoms of the infection will be significantly relieved by simply including raw cloves of this natural antibiotic in the diet
- Tea Tree Oil – tea tree oil is a herbal remedy that acts as an antibacterial, providing effective relief for women suffering from vaginal infections. Relieve the symptoms of the infection by simply rinsing the vaginal area with lukewarm water to which a few drops of tea tree oil has been added.
- Fenugreek – add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to a little water and leave to stand overnight. Drink the water the following morning before breakfast. Fenugreek helps to maintain hormonal balance, as well as maintain a normal menstrual cycle
- Citrus Fruit – lemons, grapefruit and oranges are full of vitamin C which not only improves the immune system, but also helps in the fight against infection. Simply increase your intake of these fruit juices to prevent infections from occurring
- Hydrogen Peroxide – hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfectant that helps to eliminate harmful bacteria as well as any other inflammatory causes that trigger bacterial infections. Mix equal parts of 3% hydrogen peroxide with water and use as a douche. Alternatively, a tampon can be soaked in the mixture and inserted into the vagina. The tampon should be removed after no less than a half hour
Although medical professionals are still unsure as to what it is exactly that causes the imbalance of bacteria in women, certain factors such as smoking, poor hygiene, IUDs and alcoholism are known to trigger infections. Using the above-mentioned natural remedies however, is extremely effective in eradicating the symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis.