*This post may contain affiliate links*
This is a quick and easy recipe to prepare what can often be a bland dish, chicken, with some flavour. Though the recipe says chicken breasts, I have often made the recipe with chicken drumsticks and it always turns out well. The lemon and soy sauce’s sour flavour pairs nicely with the contrasting sweetness of the honey.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 spoon of Honey
- 1 Lemon
- 1 spoon of dark soy sauce
- 1 spoon of paprika
- 1/2 spoon of hot chilli powder
- 1 spoon of butter
- Firstly, pre-heat the oven at 180c, or mark 5 for gas ovens.
- Then, place the chicken skin side sides up on a baking tray before thinly coating each breast with some butter. Place the tray on the side.
- In a small bowl mix the paprika, the chilli powder, and a pinch of salt. Rub the spice mix into the chicken, making sure to evenly coat the breasts.
- In a separate bowl squeeze the lemon. Then, mix in the spoonful spoon full of dark soy sauce and honey. Spoon the mixture over the chicken and place the squeezed out halves of lemon between the chicken pieces to give it extra flavour.
- Place the baking tray inside the oven and roast, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes. Cook until done and richly glazed.
- To check if the chicken is done, prod the breasts with your finger. If they are still soft leave them in for 5 more minutes or so in the oven.
The chicken is nice enough on itself, tender inside and strong in flavour. However, I usually pair it with some nice quinoa, steamed with thyme infused water, or some steamed vegetables.
Written by Max Lami